Pa. driver charged after two passengers die in crash

June 22, 2007|by DON AINES

NEWVILLE, PA. - Only one of two women killed Wednesday afternoon in a crash on Interstate 81 had been positively identified by Thursday night, according to Pennsylvania State Police and the Cumberland County Coroner's Office.

Carol Fiscaletti-Mackaravitz, 26, address unavailable, of Chambersburg, Pa., was identified as one of two women killed in the 3 p.m. accident in the northbound lanes of Interstate 81 near exit 37, police said. Coroner Mike Norris said Thursday night the other woman had not been positively identified.

Both women were passengers in a Ford Club Wagon driven by Melvin Garcia-Rivera, 30, address unavailable, of Chambersburg, police said. The van was traveling north in the right-hand lane when Garcia-Rivera attempted to merge into the left lane and struck the right front of a Honda Odyssey, police said. The van swerved to the right and rolled over several times, throwing Fiscaletti-Mackaravitz and the other woman from the vehicle, police said.


The van's five other passengers and Garcia-Rivera were not seriously injured, Trooper Scott Leidigh said. They were taken to Carlisle (Pa.) Regional Medical Center, treated and released, Leidigh said.

Leidigh said no one in the Odyssey was injured.

Chief Deputy Coroner Todd C. Eckenrode said there was no evidence that the dead women were using seat belts and both died of multiple traumatic injuries.

Garcia-Rivera was charged with accidents involving death or personal injury while not properly licensed, recklessly endangering another person and driving without a license police said. He was driving with an expired Puerto Rico driver's license, State Police spokesman Trooper Karl Schmidhamer said.

Leidigh said Garcia-Rivera was in Cumberland County Prison Thursday night on $200,000 bail.

"He was driving to work in Carlisle," Leidigh said. He did not know if all the passengers were co-workers but said three or four of the people he interviewed were from the Chambersburg area.

An accident reconstructionist was called to investigate the crash. Northbound traffic on Interstate 81 was closed down to one lane for about four hours after the accident, Leidigh said.

The Herald-Mail Articles