YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsFood

Restaurant inspections for April 2007

June 10, 2007

The following food service establishments were inspected by the Washington County Health Department in April and found to have critical violations that needed to be corrected immediately:

McNamee's Tavern, 18154 Lappans Road, Fairplay - *hot dogs not being kept hot enough (corrected); sanitizer level too high in three-compartment sink (corrected); chemical test strips must be provided; walk-in beer cooler must be cleaned; choking poster must be displayed.

I-Mart, 18403 Maugans Ave., Hagerstown - *crab soup not kept hot enough (discarded); food cannot be stored on floor; wet wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer; choking poster must be displayed.

AC&T Smithsburg Exxon, 11507 Jefferson Blvd., Smithsburg - *hot dogs not being kept hot enough (discarded); inadequate exhaust in restrooms; exhaust needs to be cleaned; cooler floor in need of cleaning.


Emma K. Doub Elementary School, 1221 S. Potomac St., Hagerstown - *severely dented cans of applesauce and pineapple in storeroom (discarded); must have covered trash receptacle in restroom.

Fountaindale Elementary School, 901 Northern Ave., Hagerstown - *tuna sandwiches not kept at proper temperature (corrected); covered trash receptacle must be present in restroom (corrected); single-serve items cannot be stored unprotected (corrected); floor in storage room must be cleaned (corrected); choking poster must be displayed; dishwasher not maintaining proper temperature.

Nick's Airport Inn, 14548 Pennsylvania Ave., Hagerstown - * dented can removed from shelf; soap must be available at hand sink (corrected); raw food cannot be stored above cooked food (corrected); wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer; chemical test strips needed; missing wall tiles and baseboards must be replaced; bar dishwasher must be repaired; choking poster must be displayed; must have hot water in restroom; trash receptacle must be covered; holes in ceiling must be repaired; floors, walls, ceilings, equipment on hot line, exhaust vent hood filters, shelves and bottom of refrigerators must be cleaned; foods must be protected from contamination; thermometers needed in all refrigeration units; peeling paint must be removed; improper ice scoop storage observed; evidence of rodent infestation; unused equipment must be removed.

China King Restaurant, 164 Burhans Blvd., Hagerstown - * employee seen attempting to save piece of chicken that had been dropped on the floor (discarded); paper towels needed at hand sink (corrected); ice scoop stored improperly (corrected); peeling wallpaper must be repaired; walls, floors, cooling unit, can opener, grill, fryers and exhaust hood filters must be cleaned; wiping cloths must be stored in sanitizer; ice bin draining improperly; food products cannot be stored uncovered in refrigerator; single-serve items stored improperly; screen door must be repaired; fly strip must be removed; food cannot be stored in boxes on floor; thermometers needed in all refrigeration units; food cannot be uncovered in freezer; holes and gaps must be sealed; light bulbs must be shielded; damaged ceiling must be repaired; freezer must be defrosted; inadequate air gap at ice machine drain; must have covered trash receptacles and paper towels in restrooms; hazard poster must be displayed (corrected); garbage lid must be kept closed (corrected); must have chemical test strips; evidence of rodent presence.

St. Mary's Catholic School, 218 W. Washington St., Hagerstown - * severely dented cans of peaches and applesauce on shelf (discarded); freezer temperature must be adjusted; freezer gasket must be replaced; hole in wall must be repaired; trash receptacle must be kept closed; single-serve items stored improperly.

Keedysville Country Store, 19409A Shepherdstown Pike, Keedysville - * hot dog roller not maintaining proper temperature; single-serve items cannot be stored in bathroom (corrected); exhaust fans and floors throughout need cleaning; damaged floor tiles must be replaced; hot water faucet must be adjusted; leaking toilet must be repaired; back door must be self-closing; single-serve items stored improperly (corrected)

Ryan's Family Steak House, 17830 Garland Groh Blvd., Hagerstown - * improper temperature for buffet items such as steak fajitas (discarded), fried chicken, tuna and turkey (reheated or refrigerated); vent hood lights must be changed (corrected); thermometers needed in all refrigeration units (corrected); dishwasher temperatures and pressure must be adjusted (corrected); must have paper towels at hand sinks; floors and vents throughout, can opener, walls in mop room and garbage area must be cleaned; missing hood vents must be replaced; hand sink must be repaired.

The Herald-Mail Articles