Worth the wait

May 26, 2007|By TIM KOELBLE

Shortly before a weather delay descended on Black Rock Country Club around 4:30 p.m. Friday, Kenny Smith and Dick Roulette had just finished their round in the 14th annual Herald-Mail Dick Kelly Memorial Golf Tournament.

Smith, of Waynesboro and playing out of Penn National, and Roulette, of Hagerstown playing out of Fountain Head Country Club, had produced an 8-under-par 64 that left them in pretty good shape, only having to endure the waiting process with 36 two-man teams yet to complete their rounds.

The Beaver Creek Country Club tandem of Greg Henry and Ken Lampard had made the turn at 3-under and, after resuming action, birdied holes 14 through 17 to get them to 64, forging a playoff with Smith and Roulette.

On the first playoff hole at No. 8, a 403-yard par 4, Smith took control and went coast-to-coast on his own ball in the better-ball format and made short work of overtime play with a birdie to give him and Roulette the net title.


"I had a little stiffness after the delay, but I didn't think it would be a disadvantage," said Smith, who waited nearly three hours.

He rocked his drive 320 yards and found himself just nestled into the rough off the left side of the fairway, but knocked his wedge to within six feet of the cup on the elevated green.

After Lampard and Henry failed to pressure their opponents, Smith curled his putt around the left edge before it fell in to clinch the win.

Roulette left the course for a nap and some business duties at his restaurant before calling Smith to see if a playoff might be imminent, having to hustle back to Black Rock without warmup time.

"I thought (Kenny) was kidding when he said we were in a playoff," said Roulette, "but he did it all himself on that hole."

Smith started with birdies on five of the first six holes, Roulette had 11 straight pars and then the two went to work with Smith getting birds on 14 and 15 and Roulette on each of the next two holes.

"We missed two four-foot putts for eagles or we might have even gone lower," said Roulette.

The same four holes were good scoring holes for Henry and Lampard as the team went on a birdie binge with Henry doing the work on 14 and 15 and Lampard getting birds on 16 and 17.

"We went into the 14th knowing what we had to do to make up some strokes," said Henry. "Knowing that, it made us push ourselves."

Winning the gross division were Chris Barnhart, of Thurmont, Md., and Maple Run Golf Club and Jack Cheney, of Cumberland, Md., and North Winds Golf Club in Somerset, Pa.

Cheney had a chip-in birdie on the first hole that set their round, which ended with a 60, in motion. They finished after the rain delay, getting two shots by Barnhart to shoot them past Mitch Bowen and Clay Larson, who had posted a 61.

Barnhart, the golf coach at Catoctin High School, dropped in a wedge from 100 yards on No. 12 and nailed what proved to be the clincher with a chip-in on the 17th hole from about 10 feet off the green.

Other winners included the teams of Art Cline and Carl Cline, Asad Ghattas and Cal Morris and Jerry Blickenstaff and Gary Dingle in the Seniors Division with gross 63s; and Alan Seidman and Tom Amalfitano of Mid-Atlantic Orthopaedic Specialists, Ghattas-Morris and Roulette-Smith in the Sponsors Division.

Each year, the Kelly Memorial Foundation awards $1,000 scholarships to high school individuals. Recipients this year are: Jordan Anthony (Broadfording Christian), Tyler Ausherman (Middletown), Brendan Benisek (Williamsport), Kyle Butler (Williamsport), Alicia Grier (Smithsburg), Caleb Hudlow (Boonsboro), Steve Hutzell (North Hagerstown) and Carl Spessard (South Hagerstown).

The Herald-Mail Articles