Advertisement

Fire in Jefferson High School classroom is ruled accidental

May 26, 2007|By PEPPER BALLARD

SHENANDOAH JUNCTION, W.Va. - A fire that broke out in Friday morning in a home economics classroom at Jefferson High School's ninth-grade complex caused about $20,000 in damages, but no injuries, Independent Fire Co. Lt. Jason Gore said.

Students and school staff had evacuated the approximately 80,000-square foot building by the time firefighters responded to the 10:05 a.m. call, he said.

Gore said the fire, which was ruled accidental, began when an electric burner left burning in the classroom ignited an object on the electric stove.

"The school system did a heck of a job getting them out of there, they weren't even seen on the grounds" by the time firefighters arrived, he said.

Advertisement

A sprinkler above the stove extinguished much of the fire in the five to 10 minutes it took firefighters from Independent, Citizens Fire Co. and Shepherdstown Fire Department to get to the scene, Gore said.

About 20 firefighters responded, but it only took about five minutes for them to control the leftover flames, he said.

Gore said a lot of the sewing machines in the classroom were damaged when the sprinkler activated.

He said the building sustained about $15,000 in damages and the contents sustained about $5,000 in damages.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|