Advertisement

Historic tavern

May 10, 2007|by JENNIFER FITCH

Washington Township, Pa., issued a demolition permit for the former Stephey's Tavern on Pa. 16 in Rouzerville, Pa. On July 5, 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee stopped at the tavern for dinner during the retreat from Gettysburg and supposedly addressed his officers in front of the house. D. Curtis Mummert, who owns the building and operates the adjacent car dealership, did not return calls seeking comment.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|