Advertisement

Beaver Creek School Museum ready for visitors

April 16, 2007

The Beaver Creek School Museum opened for the season on April 1. The historic 1904 two-room school building will be open every Sunday through Nov. 11, from 1 to 4 p.m.

The museum re-creates a typical old-fashioned school room. It also displays a wide variety of late 19th-century and early 20th-century items reflecting elements of life in Washington County. Highlights of the museum include a re-created workshop with a large number of tools; a cobbler's station with tools and wooden foot forms; a sleigh and several wooden children's sleds; exhibits of vintage toys and dolls; several military uniform items; women's clothing, especially hats; several musical instruments, including an 1840s hand-crank organ and a 1911 Edison record player; a large stove manufactured in Hagerstown; and a re-creation of an early 1900s parlor.

Beaver Creek School was in operation until 1961. It was the third and last Beaver Creek School, replacing a structure formerly located across the road, which burned down in 1903.

Advertisement

The Washington County Historical Society operates the Beaver Creek School Museum at 9702 Beaver Creek Church Road. Admission is free to the public. Group tours for any day - other than Sunday - may be coordinated by calling the Executive Director of the Washington County Historical Society, James Neville, at 301-797-8782.

For more information about the Washington County Historical Society, or to volunteer to become a docent or researcher, call 301-797-8782 or send an e-mail to histsoc@earthlink.net.

The Washington County Historical Society, the Miller House and the Beaver Creek School Museum are members of the Washington County Association of Museums and Historical Sites. For more information about museums in Washington County, see the museums brochure at www.marylandmemories.org/museum.

To get to the school and museum: From U.S. 40 east of Hagerstown, turn left onto Md. 66 (Mapleville Road) to the intersection of Beaver Creek Road. Turn left and drive to the first road on your right, which is Beaver Creek Church Road. Turn right and drive approximately a quarter-mile. The schoolhouse is on the left.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|