Advertisement

Century-old farmhouse burns

April 08, 2007|By MARLO BARNHART

BRUNSWICK, Md. - A fire early Saturday destroyed a 100-year-old farmhouse on Boss Arnold Road, said Wade Watson, assistant chief of the Brunswick Volunteer Fire Co.

The call for the fire at the two-story, five-bedroom house at 2701 Boss Arnold Road came in Saturday at 7:25 a.m., rescue officials said. Damages were estimated at $250,000, Watson said.

When the first Brunswick firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the homeowner trying to douse the fire with a garden hose. The family safely escaped the fire, which Watson said was caused by lint in a dryer vent.

Watson said the dryer was in an attached part of the house. Because of the home's construction, the fire spread rapidly into the attic, then into the rest of the house, he said.

Advertisement

"We soon had 21 Brunswick firefighters, and then we called for tankers from everywhere ... for water," Watson said. "Water was a big situation on this fire."

Water would be pumped onto the blaze while tankers traveled back and forth from the hydrant at Brunswick High School.

"The closest hydrant was 21/2 miles away at Brunswick High School," Watson said. "Three times, we had to back out of the house because we had no water."

When firefighters had used all the water they had on hand and were waiting for fresh supplies, they had to cease their fire suppression efforts, Watson said.

The cold weather didn't make efforts any easier. Water dripping from the pumpers was freezing into icicles, Watson said.

The American Red Cross chapter had personnel at the scene assessing the family's need for shelter, Watson said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|