In an emergency, people could count on Lloyd Roman

April 08, 2007|By MARLO BARNHART

Editor's note: Each Sunday, The Herald-Mail publishes "A Life Remembered." This continuing series takes a look back - through the eyes of family, friends, co-workers and others - at a member of the community who died recently. Today's "A Life Remembered" is about Lloyd W. Roman, who died April 1 at the age of 57. His obituary appeared in the April 3 editions of The Morning Herald and The Daily Mail.

HANCOCK - As a member of both the Hancock Volunteer Fire Co. and the Hancock Rescue Squad, Lloyd W. Roman took his emergency response duties very seriously - even on his wedding day.

On the day of the ceremony that joined Lloyd and Marjorie Bivens in marriage 32 years ago at the Hancock Presbyterian Church, there was a vehicle accident right in front of the church.

Lloyd's brother, Larry Roman, was at the wedding, and he recalls Lloyd and other members of the wedding party running out of the church to the accident.


"Marjorie saw a white car in the accident and thought it was Lloyd's car - she fainted and was carried back into the church," Larry said.

While Larry's memory was that the accident was before the ceremony, Marjorie said she and Lloyd had just exchanged vows when the accident occurred.

Throughout their married life, there were many more emergency calls as well as Little League games to coach and umpire, not to mention his 28 years of work at Rayloc in Hancock.

And for more than 30 years, Lloyd also played Santa Claus at Christmas.

Lloyd died April 1 at the age of 57.

Born in Berkeley Springs, W.Va., Lloyd and his siblings were raised in Hancock and attended school there.

"Lloyd was the oldest," said his sister, Debbie Reed. "He was always nice to his younger sisters."

But sometimes Lloyd enjoyed picking on them a little.

"He liked to aggravate us, but in a good-natured way," said another sister, Barb Bivens.

The family lived on an orchard in the country with very few neighbors, Larry said.

"We'd make do playing with each other because there wasn't anyone else around," he said.

Larry said he and Lloyd and some of their brothers and sisters worked in the orchard when they were young.

"Our dad was killed in the orchard in 1981," Larry said. "Lloyd was on the (ambulance) call that found him - trapped under his tractor."

Lloyd's mother, who died in 1998, had diabetes and lost a leg to the condition. In later years, Lloyd's diabetes also resulted in the loss of a leg, but he stayed as active as he could.

"That didn't stop him," Larry said. "It just slowed him down a little."

One of Lloyd's best friends, Dan Kerns, can attest to that. Their friendship began and flourished in the context of baseball. Kerns also was a longtime coach, and Lloyd served many years as an umpire and a coach.

Confined to a wheelchair and in need of oxygen for the past several years, Lloyd nonetheless managed to attend a number of Hagerstown Suns and Baltimore Orioles games, thanks to Dan.

"After he lost his leg three or four years ago, Lloyd would still want to go to games and I'd take him," Dan said.

Debbie said her brother never met a stranger.

Contacted by telephone, Dan agreed with that, and provided an example that occurred recently.

Last year, Dan loaded up Lloyd, his wheelchair and his oxygen supplies for a long trip to Aberdeen, Md., for the Cal Ripken Little League World Series.

"Lloyd got to talking with a man who was wearing a Cal Ripken World Series shirt - they talked through several innings," Dan said.

The man, who never identified himself, left and came back with an official Cal Ripken baseball for Lloyd, Dan said.

"Lloyd loved that - he wanted to be buried with it," Dan said.

Receiving friends before Lloyd's memorial ceremony, Marjorie held onto that ball before she put it in the coffin with the man she married in 1974 and had a daughter with in 1977.

"We met at Pittman's IGA, where he worked, and became good friends," Marjorie said, rolling the baseball around in her hands.

Five years older, Lloyd escorted Marjorie to her senior prom in 1972, and they dated after that until they married two years later.

"Lloyd was a great husband, father and grandfather," Marjorie said, even when he wasn't feeling his best. "He always kept a good attitude."

Even when not in tiptop shape, Lloyd would let it be known that he wanted to help the Little League players around Hancock in any way he could.

"Kids would bring their mitts by the house, and Lloyd would restring them," Larry said.

The Herald-Mail Articles