Before gardeners start their spring gardening regimens, the Maryland Chiropractic Association suggests they follow these health-conscious tips:
· Warm up with stretching exercises before starting and cool down with those same stretches when chores are done.
· Breathe in and out, slowly and rhythmically.
· Don't bounce or jerk your body and stretch only as far as you comfortably can.
· Don't follow the "no pain, no gain" rule.
· While sitting, prop heels on a stool or step keeping the knees straight. Lean forward until you feel a stretch in the back of the thigh or hamstring muscle. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
· Stand up, balance yourself and grab the front of your ankle from behind, pulling heel toward your buttocks. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat with other leg.