Devils: New self-control style has allowed Scott to be great

March 21, 2007|by CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - It's almost impossible for Greencastle-Antrim junior Dameatric Scott to hide his emotions on the basketball court. But the Blue Devils 6-foot-5 junior is learning to control them.

Scott got riled up several times in the PIAA Class AAA state semifinals Tuesday night, but he never let himself boil over and his poise down the stretch helped Greencastle take down rival James Buchanan 38-34 at Shippensburg University's Heiges Field House.

Scott asserted himself as one of the go-to options for the Blue Devils with seven points in the first half. But that same intensity on the offensive end carried over and caused him to venture into foul trouble.

He was visibly frustrated when he was called for his second foul with 4:50 remaining in the second quarter. A trip to the bench helped him regain his nerves before he re-entered and his 15-footer with 30 seconds left in the first half pulled the Blue Devils to within 26-23 at halftime.


"He's starting to understand that for us to be successful, he has to keep his head," said Blue Devils coach Garon Gembe. "It continues to be a work in progress, but he's been much better."

Still, he couldn't help but protest when he picked up his third foul midway through the third quarter during a scuffle with JB defenders. He had to be warned by the officials for his obvious disagreement with the fouls.

"I think I was pushing the refs a little bit, but I wasn't getting the calls," Scott said. "The refs had to come over to me and say, 'Calm down (No.) 24,' because I was getting mad and talking."

There were times earlier in the season that Scott might have let such events push him over the edge, but he realized the importance of the game he played such a vital role in.

"We know Dameatric. That's just how he is," said teammate Jaren Gembe. "We've come accustomed to his attitude and how he plays, but he's come a long way since the beginning of last year. The good stuff he does definitely outweighs the bad."

Scott gained composure and didn't pick up a foul over the final 11 1/2 minutes. Still, he remained aggressive, driving to the basket to draw a blocking foul early in the fourth quarter. He came up big on the defensive end in the second half with eight rebounds and he blocked a Shane Rife shot with 1:12 left as the Blue Devils nursed a 35-34 lead.

Scott's patience was tested once more with 41 seconds left. With Greencastle up 37-34, he intercepted a pass along the JB sideline, but he was immediately called for traveling. He came dangerously close to drawing a technical foul, but instead attempted to laugh it off and looked to the crowd for encouragement.

"I just had to stay focused," he said. "I didn't like it, but we had the lead and we just had to hold on."

The Rockets had three shot attempts to tie the game, but Scott put the Blue Devils in position to seal the game when he hauled in his 11th rebound of the game with 12 seconds left. That set up Jaren Gembe's clinching free throw at the other end of the floor.

"This one was great," Scott said. "This is history. We're a part of history."

The Herald-Mail Articles