Residents say business poses threat to safety

March 06, 2007|by KATE S. ALEXANDER

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - Residents of a Greencastle mobile home park told the Greencastle Borough Council Monday they have already started to take action against a local recycling center whose practices they feel pose a threat to safety and welfare.

Ted Shives and Gladys Griffith said they have written to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) about the sawdust, toxic runoff and safety concerns with the Industrial Pallet Corp. recycling plant along North Carlisle Street.

Griffith, whose property abuts the manufacturing site, said her porch is always covered in debris for the destruction of old pallets.

"It has begun to affect me," she said holding a bag of the dust. "I have an infection in my eye from it."


Residents of the adjacent mobile home park along North Carlisle Street first brought their concerns to the council in February with a petition of 46 signatures.

The residents asked the council to contact the company about the sawdust problem and the safety hazard of the stacked pallets.

"They put the pallets in and haven't moved them," Sandy Woodring said. "I moved in two years ago."

Councilman Don Coldsmith said the stacks of wooden pallets or skids pose a safety problem to neighbors and children who play at the nearby playground.

"Some of those are stacked 30 feet high," he said. "It's a fire and fall-down-on-kids trap."

The five acres owned by the Industrial Pallet Corp. are zoned light industrial, Coldsmith said, adding the council needs to be careful about what restrictions it puts on the corporation.

"We really can't tell them to put up a fence, but we can work on their conscience," he said.

Shives and Griffith showed pictures of the plant, the stacks of skids and the coating of sawdust.

"There is also a stink of chemicals behind where I live," Shives said.

The council took no action on the issue Monday. Coldsmith said the council would continue to follow the progress of the residents and the DEP.

No one from the company attended Monday's meeting. An attempt to reach the company was unsuccessful Monday night.

The Herald-Mail Articles