Advertisement

Fire, caused by faulty extension cord,heavily damages Cascade house Friday

February 12, 2007

CASCADE - A failure in an extension cord powering a portable heater caused a fire Friday at a home here, according to a press release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office.

The fire at 14247 MacFee Hill Road caused about $200,000 in damages, according to the release. The estimated damage to the two-story, single-family house was $155,000, and the family lost $45,000 in contents, according to the release.

It took 47 firefighters about 90 minutes to get the fire under control, according to the release.

The press release lists Brian and Mary Rowe as the owner/occupants.

Fire departments from Smithsburg, Leitersburg and Long Meadow in Washington County; Thurmont, Emmitsburg and Wolfsville in Frederick County, Md.; and Blue Ridge Summit and Waynesboro in Franklin County, Pa., responded to the fire, according to the release.

The family is staying with relatives, an American Red Cross of Washington County Chapter volunteer said Friday night.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|