Advertisement

Man escapes fire that damages wooden home

January 29, 2007|by PEPPER BALLARD

SANDY HOOK - A man dove through a window to escape a fire Friday night on Sandy Hook Road, but did not sustain serious injuries, said Ronnie Gray, chief of the Potomac Valley Volunteer Fire Co.

Gray said the man dove through a first-floor window of the 18804 Sandy Hook Road home after his attempts at escaping through the doors failed in the reported 10:58 p.m. blaze.

The man, Clayton Mills, sustained cuts on his body, but refused medical treatment at the scene, Gray said.

Gray said fire marshals believe a space heater was responsible for the fire, which took about two hours for crews to control.

About 70 firefighters focused efforts Friday night on soaking a neighboring stone house, in which Richard Mills, the owner of the 18804 Sandy Hook Road wooden and log structure, had been sleeping.

Advertisement

Gray said the Millses are brothers. Clayton Mills had been sleeping alone in the two-story wooden structure that nearly burned to the ground.

"It will have to be torn down," Gray said. "The front is still standing. Part of it did collapse against the stone house."

Gray estimated damages at $50,000.

Fire and rescue crews from Washington and Frederick counties in Maryland, Loudoun County, Va., and Jefferson County, W.Va., responded to the scene, Gray said.

Crews cleared the scene of the fire about 4 a.m., he said.

Roads surrounding the house were iced over from the water used to fight the blaze and were salted by the Washington County Highway Department, Gray said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|