Advertisement

Wood stove causes Lappans Road cabin fire

January 23, 2007

SAINT JAMES - A faulty wood stove caused the second fire in about 10 years at a Lappans Road cabin on Monday, a fire official at the scene said.

No one was hurt when fire broke out at the white-washed log cabin at 17848 Lappans Road, Fairplay Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Leonard Heller said. The fire was reported at 8:22 p.m., and firefighters left the scene at 9:29 p.m., a Washington County Emergency Services dispatcher said.

"We were here about eight, 10 years ago for the same thing," Heller said as firefighters prepared to leave.

Heller said firefighters knocked down the fire by tearing down walls and part of the ceiling near the wood stove, which was the home's main source of heat.

State tax records list the building date of the primary structure on the property as 1800.

Heller said the couple who lives at the property will use an alternate source of heat.

Advertisement

He advised people who use wood stoves to be careful about how much heat the stoves are generating. The stoves and flues also need to be cleaned, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|