Hubs get 2 titles

January 14, 2007|by CHRIS CARTER/Staff Correspondent

North Hagerstown junior Delon Agee didn't know exactly how he did it.

But he did do it. He has the medal to prove it.

Agee scored a takedown with 14 seconds left in the third period of the 119-pound championship of the Hub Cup Invitational and held on tight for a 7-6 decision over Williamsport's Earl Neville.

Agee and 171-pound champion Josh Borland became the first Hub Cup champions for North since 2003. They were the only champions in the area.

"I don't even know what I did," said Agee of his go-ahead takedown. "I kind of fell on the ground and spun under (Neville). In the last 10 seconds I was trying to cradle him, but it made me nervous because he kept turning."


If Neville could have broken the grasp of Agee, he would have forced overtime. Instead, Agee became the first Washington County champion at the Hub Cup in two years. Meanwhile, Neville had to settle for second.

"I knew there wasn't much time left, I was just trying to get free," Neville said. "(Agee) is a good wrestler and he's tall, which is tough. He just reaches so far."

Agee trailed 6-2 in the second period before getting a reversal at the buzzer to close the gap to 6-4. He outscored Neville 3-0 in the last period to notch the win.

"It was a well-wrestled match," said Williamsport coach Mike Rechtorovic. "They're the polar opposite of one another at (119) pounds. One is short and muscular and the other is tall with reach. But they're two evenly matched wrestlers and they might wrestle again at the county championships."

Borland's win was just as - if not more - suspenseful than Agee's late surge, as he avenged an early-season loss to Quince Orchard's Mike Mascio at 171.

Mascio was penalized seven seconds into the match, giving Borland a 1-0 lead, which remained the score until Mascio got an escape with 35 seconds left in the second period to tie the match at 1-1.

Borland regained the lead with an escape with 1:36 left in regulation for a 2-1 advantage. It appeared he would hold off Mascio for the remainder of the match, but in trying to avoid a takedown, Borland was called for stalling as time expired to retie the match and send it into overtime.

"I didn't try to stall, but it happens," Borland said. "I didn't focus on it. I tried to forget about it and go back to wrestling."

Borland scored a takedown 18 seconds into overtime to win the bout 4-2.

"I knew that I was pushing in, (Mascio) was going to shoot hard for my outside leg," said Borland, who wrestled in his last Hub Cup. "This was a big one for me, it's very important. It's something I've been focusing on all week in school and to be able to go out under the lights and do it ... It's great."

"There's been a lot of matches that I've watched that have been kind of sweet," said Hubs coach Greg Slick. "For both of those guys to make it to the finals and for both of them to win in dramatic fashion makes it that much better."

North's James Eichelberger lost in the championship semifinals, but responded to win the third-place bout. North was the top area team, finishing eighth with 105 points.

Williamsport's Jimmy Fiorita won four straight matches in the consolation rounds to finish third as Williamsport was 10th with 84 points.

Greencastle-Antrim was ninth with 102 points, with Dale Nichols and Kyle Hansen each placing third.

"Overall as a team, we did real well," said Greencastle coach Fred Yelton. We brought eight kids and had all of them place, so it was a good tournament."

South Hagerstown moved up to 13th in the standings with 50 points. Damascus ran away with the tournament, scoring 223 points - 64 ahead of Beall, which finished second.

The Herald-Mail Articles