Advertisement

No one injured in Pa. mobile home fire

December 13, 2006|by KATE S. ALEXANDER

MERCERSBURG, Pa. - Three Montgomery Township residents managed to escape injury Monday when a fire destroyed their mobile home.

Amanda Hornbaker, Nate Tressler and their son, Zach, were able to flee their home at 14191 Blairs Valley Road before flames destroyed the structure, said Dusty Stoner, fire chief of Mercersburg Montgomery Peters & Warren Volunteer Fire Department.

Stoner said fire department officials are uncertain of the cause of the blaze, but suspect it originated from chimney sparks.

"There was so little left over to look at for a definite cause," he said.

Stoner said Hornbaker reported seeing flames outside the mobile home when she got up to tend to her fussing son. The fire is believed to have started outside the home, which Stoner said was heated by a wood stove.

When fire departments from Clear Spring, Williamsport, Greencastle, Pa., and MMP&W arrived at the scene around 3:41 a.m. Monday, Stoner said the home was "fully involved" in flames.

Advertisement

"The home was off the road on a dirt lane out past the ski slope. When we got there, it was gone, gone," he said of the home, which is owned by Hornbaker's father, David Hornbaker.

Stoner said the couple had no insurance and lost everything in the blaze. He also said the community is working to raise money to help the young family.

A fund has been established at First National Bank of Greencastle, where people can make a donation, he said. He said Hornbaker's employer, Arby's in Greencastle, is taking donations for the family.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|