Advertisement

Fire leaves county couple homeless

November 19, 2006

DARGAN - A Dargan-area couple was left homeless Saturday morning when a fire ripped through their home on Maze Lane, said Eric Gray, assistant chief of the Potomac Valley Fire Co.

Gray said about 50 firefighters responded to the 8 a.m. blaze at the one-story metal building in the 1800 block of Maze Lane.

The building's occupants, a couple who appeared to be in their mid-30s, had evacuated their home before crews arrived, Gray said.

The couple were taken to Washington County Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, Gray said. The American Red Cross responded to help the couple find shelter and get clothing, he said.

Advertisement

Gray said the 30-foot-by-50-foot tin structure was "kind of like a storage shed with an apartment on the side."

He said the fire was caused by an electrical failure.

It took firefighters about an hour to control the blaze, and about three hours to fully extinguish it. Fighting the fire was made difficult because the roof collapsed on the storage shed, making it hard to reach the living area where the fire started, Gray said.

Firefighters from Sharpsburg, Boonsboro, Rohrersville, Fairplay, and Shepherdstown, W.Va., and rescue crews from Boonsboro and Sharpsburg responded, along with Washington County support units.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|