North-South: The third decade

November 08, 2006

1977: South 9, North 6

South Hagerstown broke on top early in the game with a safety, putting the Rebels up, 2-0. Before the first half was over, Mark Taylor scored on a 47-yard pass from Mark Sperry, and Tim Farris' extra point gave the Rebels a 9-0 halftime lead.

South commanded the first half, led by the rushing of Sperry and Mike Shilling, while North stuggled with poor field position. The Hubs needed two scores to overhaul the Rebels, while the Rebels needed to play tight defense to preserve the lead.

With the Rebels leading 9-0 in the second half, the momentum shifted. The Hubs clicked on a 60-yard pass play on which Jon Craver, the intended receiver, batted the ball to Roger Wollaston, who scampered to the 10. The Rebels' defense forced the Hubs to lose 22 yards on the next three plays. On North's next possesion, the Hubs rallied with two passes to Perry Miller, the first for 30 yards, the second a 12-yard TD near the end of the third period.


In the final 10 minutes, South's defense thwarted two North drives. Eldon Brown stopped one with a crucial interception and the Rebels ganged up on North quarterback Rory Sandberg to stop another at the South 24.

Series: South, 10-8-1.

1978: South 25, North 22

South Hagerstown sophomore Joe Howell scored the game-winning touchdown with 17 seconds left in the game to lead the Rebels over North Hagerstown in stirring comeback fashion.

The Hubs, despite entering the game winless, rolled up 369 yards of total offense. Jeff Miles led the ground attack with 136 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Todd Rideout led the air attack on 8 of 12 passing for 149 yards, including 84 to Chris Pappas.

North appeared to have the contest wrapped up as it led 22-19 with 4 minutes left in the game until a fumble gave South one final chance.

South quarterback Davey Wachter finished 10 of 20 passing, including 4 of 6 on the final game-winning drive.

Series: South, 11-9-1.

1979: North 7, South 3

In the last play of the first half, Jim Scott made a 40-yard field goal to put South Hagerstown up, 3-0.

In the third quarter, Jeff Miles scored on a 21-yard run to give North Hagerstown a 7-3 lead.

With nine seconds left in the game, Rebels quarterback Dave Wachter dropped back from the Hubs 21-yard line and threw a pass toward the end zone. There waiting for the ball was North's Todd Rideout, who intercepted the pass and ran the ball back to the Rebels 21.

Series: South, 12-10-1.

1980: North 10, South 6

South Hagerstown scored first, late in the first half, on a flea-flicker ending in a Tim Mason touchdown. After Mason missed the extra point, North drove the ball 66 yards to take a 7-6 lead on Garry Shank's 1-yard TD run and Nick Billmyer's kick.

Billmyer added a 30-yard field goal early in the third quarter to make the lead 10-6.

With 2:02 remaining in the game, the Rebels recovered a Hubs fumble at their own 8-yard line. The Rebels marched 84 yards for a first down at the Hubs 9 with 24 seconds left. On second down, South quarterback Darren Dattilio passed to Mason, who was stopped at the 1. On third down, Dattilio tried to sneak the ball across for the game-winning touchdown, but North's defense allowed no gain. The clock ran out, but the officials ruled that while South was lining up, a North player inadvertently kicked the ball. The officials added two seconds, but before Dattilio got the fourth-down snap, time expired.

Series: South, 12-11-1.

1981: North 17, South 0

Kenny Branch, who rushed for 184 yards, led North Hagerstown's fourth quarter charge with a 61-yard sprint to the South 25-yard line. Branch finished the drive with a 7-yard TD run.

North turned a South fumble into another quick TD to bury the Rebels.

A determined Rebels defense contained the Hubs in a scoreless first half, but four Rebels turnovers, including two interceptions by Brian Shaw, helped North break lose in the final two quarters. Mickey Billmyer gave the Hubs a 3-0 lead with a 32-yard field goal in the third period.

Series: Tied, 12-12-1.

1982: South 15, North 6

Dave Williams ran for 155 yards - 118 in the second half, including a 32-yard touchdown early in the third quarter which broke a scoreless tie.

North's Scott Austin returned a Rebels fumble 50 yards for a TD later in the third period.

Brian Stone recovered a Hubs fumble on North's final scoring threat, and Rebels QB Eugene Rowley cemented the victory with a 25-yard TD run with 51 seconds remaining.

Series: South, 13-12-1.

1983: North 20, South 6

While John Lewis led North Hagerstown with two touchdowns, Carlton Gaines produced a critical touchdown with two minutes left, placing North Hagerstown ahead of South Hagerstown, 14-6.

A final touchdown was set up when Chuck Brandt intercepted Eugene Rowley's pass with less than 2 minutes to play. Lewis scored the final TD on a 14-yard run.

In the first quarter, Lewis ran in a TD from 9 yards out.

Series: Tied, 13-13-1.

1984: South 8, North 6

The Herald-Mail Articles