Advertisement

Extension cord failure sparks fire in storage building

November 03, 2006

WILLIAMSPORT - An electrical failure in an extension cord caused a fire in a storage building on the property of the former Garden State Tanning facility in Williamsport, the Maryland State Fire Marshal said.

According to a press release, 32 firefighters from departments in Williamsport, Halfway and Clear Spring responded to the fire on Wednesday at 11:45 p.m. No one was injured.

The press release estimated the losses at the storage building, which measured 20 feet by 20 feet, at $20,000. During an interview Thursday, Williamsport Volunteer Fire & EMS Capt. Will Ball said he believed the damages could total between $30,000 and $40,000.

According to Ball, heat from the fire caused the tires of a backhoe to explode, destroying the vehicle.

The fire at 15717 Clear Spring Road was discovered by a neighbor, and firefighters brought it under control within 15 minutes, the state fire marshal said.

Advertisement

According to state tax records, the property is owned by GST AutoLeather Inc.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|