Cougars sweep into Region II final round

October 25, 2006|by CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

INWOOD, W.Va. - The Jefferson boys soccer team posted its 10th shutout of the season and the girls followed with goals from six different players as the Cougars swept the West Virginia Region II semifinals Tuesday night at Musselman High School.

The Jefferson boys blanked Berkeley Springs 5-0, while the girls shook off another slow start and rolled past Frankfort, 6-1.

Both teams will travel to Buckhannon, W.Va., for the regional finals on Thursday. The boys are slated to take on either Elkins or Bridgeport, while the girls will play either Philip Barbour or Bridgeport.

The Jefferson boys had a 24-6 shot advantage as they beat Berkeley Springs for the second time this season.

Playing with a strong breeze at its back, Jefferson jumped out to a 2-0 halftime lead.

Adam Roque struck first in the 22nd minute when he rushed a direct kick to prevent Berkeley Springs defenders from getting in position and had his shot ricochet off the right goal post before rolling in.


Six minutes later, Matt Tiano scored on an assist from Graham Sutherland to put the Cougars ahead, 2-0.

"We wanted to come out and try to get a couple of goals and take them out of it, but we couldn't quite do it," said Berkeley Springs coach Jamie Chenoweth.

"It's tough to look good against a team like Jefferson."

The Cougars (21-0-1) were forced to play against the wind in the second half, but the offensive attack wasn't fazed as it tacked on three more goals.

"I told the team at halftime that going into the wind is going to be a lot different," said Jefferson coach Doug Hunt. "We just had to make more quick touches and keep the ball low."

Sutherland scored two second-half goals on assists from Aaron Kelly and Zach Creamer and Tiano scored in the 67th minute on an assist from Roque.

The Jefferson girls surrendered an early score against Frankfort, but rebounded with six unanswered goals to end the game.

In the third minute, Frankfort's Crystal Moreland skied a shot toward Cougars goalie Sarah Cooper that got carried by the wind and took a big bounce over her head. Cooper retreated and managed to throw the ball out before it crossed the goal, but Heather Alkire was there for the follow-up shot and score to give the Falcons a 1-0 lead.

Jefferson (19-1) was held out of the net until the 27th minute when Tiffany Banks' shot hit the inside of the crossbar and dropped in to knot the game at 1-1.

Twin sisters Jenny and Katie Perry scored back-to-back goals to put Jefferson ahead 3-1 at halftime. After Kaitlyn Mahoney had a shot deflect off the crossbar, Jenny Perry gathered the ball and kicked it through to give the Cougars the lead.

One minute later, Mahoney sent a direct kick to Katie Perry, who booted it in for a two-goal advantage and the Cougars were on their way.

Sarah Cogswell scored unassisted, Shannon Conway scored on a penalty kick and Morgan Wisniewski scored off Banks' corner kick to help Jefferson pull away in the second half.

"For the most part we spread the ball around," said Jefferson coach Dunnie Bache. "No team can really mark just one player because we don't have just one go-to person."

Jefferson outshot the Falcons (13-5), 23-3.

The Herald-Mail Articles