HAGERSTOWN - An electrical problem in an old section of the Women's Club caused the fire that damaged the Hagerstown landmark Sunday, a fire department official said Monday.
"It appears that some wiring had failed," said Doug DeHaven, assistant fire marshal for the City of Hagerstown.
Eighteen people who live in the building at 31 S. Prospect St. were displaced, Women's Club Manager Linda Ogilvie said. The fire was reported at about 2:40 p.m. Sunday.
Most of the tenants found other places to stay with family or friends, though the American Red Cross offered to help those who could not, she said.
According to Ogilvie, the building's roof and third floor sustained the heaviest damage, but a couple of second-floor rooms also need repairs. Some of the building's first-floor walls need to be cleaned, and some carpeting needs to be dried out, she said.