Warriors surprise Leopards

October 17, 2006|by JACK HILL III/Staff Correspondent

SMITHSBURG - The No. 4 Boonsboro girls soccer team came up with a surprise on Monday night.

The Warriors scored a 3-2 upset victory over No. 2 Smithsburg in an MVAL Antietam match.

Smithsburg (10-2, 5-1) pulled into a tie with Boonsboro (8-3, 5-1) for second place in the conference standings, a half-game behind unbeaten North Hagerstown.

"We know that when we come to play Smithsburg, that they are a talented soccer team with great coaching," Boonsboro coach Kyle Lingg said. "We knew that we had to bring our top game. A team like Smithsburg brings out the best in you. We worked really hard to get to where we are at. It is exciting when it pays off."

Monday night's loss ended a seven-game winning streak for Smithsburg, the defending Maryland Class 1A state champion.

"I thought Boonsboro took us out of our game in the second half," Smithsburg coach Bill Fowkes said. "They just played hard and they wanted it more than we did. We just didn't play good Smithsburg soccer. I was impressed the most with Boonsboro's tenacity. They just kept coming at us. We need to get back to playing the ball to our feet and keeping our composure."


Smithsburg got on the scoreboard first in the ninth minute when Shelby Layman scored an unassisted goal on the right side. The Leopards made 2-0 in the 27th minute on Chelsea Hoover's unassisted goal through the middle.

Boonsboro scored in the closing minutes of the first half when sophomore Lauren Hensley found the net from the middle on an assist by Kellie Reese, cutting Smithsburg's lead to 2-1 at halftime.

The Warriors tied the score at 2 in the 49th minute when Reese found Hensley in the middle. Hensley leads Washington County with 18 goals.

Reese and Hensley then switched roles to give Boonsboro its game-winning goal in the 74th minute, when Reese scored off Hensley's assist.

"We knew Smithsburg was fast on top and can pass the ball well," Lingg said. "So we loaded up certain defensive areas. We knew that we had to get the ball to our forwards up front on a quick touch of the ball. I told them if they wanted to stay in the game, they would have to come out in the second half and step it up. They rose to the occasion."

The Herald-Mail Articles