Indians give Homecoming crowd reason to cheer

October 14, 2006|by CHRIS CARTER /Staff Correspondent

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Spirits were high at Rip Engle Stadium on Friday night.

Waynesboro was coming off its first victory of the season and it was Homecoming for the Indians faithful. The night became even more special after 48 minutes of football as the Indians rocked Scotland 34-6 in the Mid-Penn Capital.

It's just the third time in 12 years Waynesboro has won back-to-back games. The Indians won the first two games of the 1998 and 2000 seasons.

"I didn't know exactly how long it had been, but I knew it was a while," said Waynesboro coach Darwin Seiler.


The recipe for the Indians' success has been the running game and a swarming defense. In the win last week, Waynesboro rolled up 302 yards on the ground, led by Ian Smith's 178 yards. Friday night wasn't quite as dominant, but it was good enough. The Indians (2-5, 2-2) pounded out 200 yards, led by Smith's 94 yards.

Smith scored on touchdown runs of 16, 15 and 11 yards, giving him five for the year. Smith cut the first two scoring runs inside and the Scotland secondary couldn't react.

"I saw the offensive line push the blocks to the outside and I saw an open lane," Smith said. "I just have to know when to make the cut."

Waynesboro quarterback Alex Barone had an off night throwing the ball, completing just 3 of 14 passes, but was able to supplement the running attack with 39 yards.

On the other side, Scotland second-string quarterback Josh Pugh was tackled in the backfield five times by the blitzing Waynesboro defense. He had minus-6 net yards on the ground and lost three fumbles. Pugh was filling in for Khalid Gresham, who left the game with a knee injury at the 5:57 mark in the first quarter.

"He just took a helmet to the knee, but it's stable right now," Scotland coach Keith Lehman said. "Once the swelling goes down, we'll know more."

Lehman was helped off the field and needed crutches as he watched the remainder of the game from the sideline. He had been the main threat for Scotland (1-6, 0-4), scrambling three times for 76 yards.

"He's a very good athlete and a big part of their team. I can't help but feel bad for him," Seiler said.

Gresham had a 42-yard run on Scotland's first offensive play, setting up Maurice Brockington's 35-yard touchdown run with 9:35 left in the opening quarter.

Waynesboro answered on the ensuing kickoff when Dylan Spangler fielded the short kick at his own 30-yard line. He made a quick move to the left sideline and got a pair of blocks before evening the score at 6-6.

"(Spangler) just took it and split," Seiler said. "We always tell the guys that if the (kickoff) is in front of you, field it. And he's got the speed to take it all the way."

The Indians took the lead at the start of the second quarter. Nathan Kauffman intercepted Pugh inside the red zone and returned it to the Waynesboro 35. Six plays later, Smith scored his first touchdown to put the Indians ahead, 13-6.

Scotland miscues set up each of Waynesboro's three second-half scores. A 16-yard punt set up the Indians at the 50 for their first drive after halftime, leading to Smith's second score. Smith scored once more after the Indians recovered a fumble in Scotland territory.

Evan Reed hit Pugh at the start of the fourth quarter, jarring the ball loose for Jamison Walck, who picked it up and sprinted 23 yards for the final touchdown.

The Herald-Mail Articles