Blue Devils jump on JB early in win

October 11, 2006|by CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

It hasn't taken long for the Greencastle-Antrim boys soccer team to gain the upper hand in its recent showdowns with James Buchanan.

For the second time this season, Greencastle came with a quick assault to deflate JB and the Blue Devils went on to a 5-1 win Tuesday night at Rocket Stadium.

In the first meeting between the Mid-Penn Capital rivals, the Blue Devils (14-2, 10-1) scored three goals in a 2 1/2-minute span to put the Rockets (6-6, 6-4) in an early hole. On Tuesday, Greencastle scored two goals in 18 seconds to pull away, 4-1.

"We always say, 'When it rains, it pours,'" said Blue Devils senior Jaren Gembe, who had a goal and an assist. "We just go as hard as we can and sometimes we can do things like that."


Gembe assisted Greencastle's fourth goal, setting up Treavor Gelsinger with a 1-on-1 opportunity against Rockets goalie Ryan Lum in the 52nd minute. Lum got a hand on the shot, but not quite enough as it rolled to the right corner of the goal.

Gelsinger headed a shot past Lum on an assist from Jordan Gembe 18 seconds earlier.

"(JB) played (Treavor) well in the first half," said Greencastle coach Scott Gelsinger. "They usually had one - and sometimes two or three - good defenders on him. We spread out a little more in the second half and had more success."

Treavor Gelsinger scored his third goal of the game when he got around three defenders and hooked a shot from right to left past Lum.

"We're trying to play a superior team and we're still getting some opportunities," said JB coach Mike Dent. "But right now, my guys don't have the experience, maturity or patience to beat Greencastle, which is a top notch team."

Despite being overmatched, the Rockets struck first against the Blue Devils. In the 12th minute, Dion Lehman crossed a pass to Zach Hampson, who gathered the ball against Greencastle goalie Jonathan Zook and pushed it through.

The Blue Devils answered 2 1/2 minutes later when Jaren Gembe dribbled to his right and sliced his shot past Lum.

"It probably wasn't the best looking shot, but it went in and that's all that matters," Gembe said.

Greencastle took the lead amid a scrum inside the box in the 39th minute. A header deflected off the crossbar and fell at the feet of Evon Wiestling, who easily pushed it past Lum for a 2-1 lead at the half.

Lum was otherwise strong in goal for the Rockets, making 14 saves against some aggressive shots.

"It really could have been a lot worse if it weren't for Ryan Lum," Dent said. "They're out there cracking the ball at a pace he doesn't normally see and he was tough."

The Herald-Mail Articles