Devils give Warriors a taste of 'the next level'

October 01, 2006|by CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - With its match against Boonsboro well in hand Saturday, the No. 3 Greencastle-Antrim boys soccer team took the time to celebrate Andrew Cordell's 17th birthday.

Cordell received some rare action in an attacking role and scored in the 65th minute for his first goal of the season in the Blue Devils' 11-4 romp over the Warriors at Kaley Field.

"My teammates just wanted to get me the ball with a chance to score," said Cordell, a defensive starter. "They wanted it to be my birthday present."

"The team talked about it during the game. (Cordell) hasn't scored many goals because he's a defender, but it was nice to see him get one," Greencastle coach Scott Gelsinger said.


Cordell's goal was one of seven in the second half for the Blue Devils (11-2). Greencastle led 4-0 at halftime before adding three goals in the first two minutes of the second half for a 7-0 advantage.

"This was an unbelievable team that we played," Boonsboro coach Brad Distad said. "We just didn't have the horses to keep up with them. And I think we got deflated once we got down by a couple of goals."

The Warriors (4-4) managed to keep Greencastle out of the goal in the opening minutes of the game. Boonsboro even had a chance to strike first, but Mark Connelly's direct kick from 30 yards went off the crossbar.

Instead, Greencastle cracked the goal first when Treavor Gelsinger took a pass from midfield and juked Boonsboro goalie Jake Burtner for an open net opportunity in the eighth minute. He created another look at an empty goal in the 16th minute when he again put the moves on Burtner inside the box to give the Blue Devils a 3-0 lead.

Gelsinger finished the game with three goals and two assists, a typical game for the reigning Herald-Mail Player of the Year.

Forwards Mac Frederick and Evon Wiestling got in on the action with two goals apiece.

"We knew they had powerhouse strikers up top," Distad said. "Still, I wasn't expecting 11 goals."

Greencastle consistently got past the Warriors' defense in the second half, making for some easy shot attempts against an isolated goalie.

Jaren Gembe, who scored on a corner kick in the first half, added a second goal on a fast break in the 42nd minute. A minute earlier, Kyle Bobbitt opened the second-half scoring on a deflection off Wiestling.

"They were trying to run an offside trap for the first 15 minutes and it was working kind of nicely," Scott Gelsinger said. "Once we figured out to hold and wait, things opened up a lot more."

Boonsboro finally cracked the goal when Anthony Demartino cleaned up a shot by Nick Stitely in the 52nd minute to cut the deficit to 7-1. Second-half goalie Jeremy Lantz scored on a penalty kick and Rick Tonetti and Gavin Masters each added a goal in the final six minutes.

"We got to see what it was like at the next level," Distad said. "We've played a tough schedule already this year. And when the time comes, we're probably going to go the playoffs with something like a .500 record rather than a winning record like we have in the past. But we're going to be more prepared for the competition because of games like this."

JV: Greencastle, 5-4.

The Herald-Mail Articles