Advertisement

Blast from the Past

September 27, 2006

Week of Sept. 24, 1956

Answering a phone call when no one is on the other end is annoying. To be aroused from bed early in the morning to find no one there is worse. But to break your arm in doing so just about takes the cake.

Agnes Lefever, of Hagerstown Route 2, was awakened by her phone ringing at 2 a.m. In going to answer the call, she slipped and fell and fractured her left arm. When she did get to the phone, the other party hung up. She is at a loss to know whether the call was a practical joke or a wrong number.

She was treated for her injured arm in the emergency room of the hospital.




Hancock High School has begun another overcrowded year - probably its last - in the same building, as 412 students squeezed into a school built to accommodate 240.

Advertisement

Ground has been broken for a new school building, however, and authorities expect to have it finished by the time another September rolls around. The present high school building, built in 1930, is to be turned into an elementary school.




Youngsters set fire in a pile of mail in a mailbox at the corner of Avon Road and Salem Avenue yesterday afternoon.

Western Enterprise firemen sprayed water in the box to put out the flames, and mailmen later delivered the charred, soggy mail.




Week of Sept. 24, 1981

Municipal Electric Light Plant customers in Hagerstown begin paying up to 35 percent and 40 percent more for their electricity this week, due to an increase in Potomac Edison's charge for power to MELP, Rex Jerrim, MELP's manager, said today.

The immediate reaction from the community was disbelief and shock.




First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Hagerstown announced Monday that by mid-October it will expand its banking services by installing customer windows in all local Martin's Food Markets.

In an innovative plan to make basic banking functions as easy as a trip to the supermarket, First Federal is instituting "bread-and-butter banking" in the three local stores, President David B. Roy said Monday.




What had been a nickel-and-dime problem for years turned into a $6,667 emergency over the weekend as Junior Fire Company No. 3 had to close its North Potomac Street headquarters building because of pigeon droppings on the third floor. The accumulation, described as "truckloads" by Junior's President William DeLauter, will have to be removed before the hall can be reopened. "An exterminator told us that it would cost $6,667 to clean it up," he said.

- Compiled by Jean Baraclough

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|