Pa. man sought by police charged with assault, making threats

September 20, 2006|by DON AINES

ORRSTOWN, Pa. - An Orrstown man who was the subject of a search by Pennsylvania State Police Tuesday morning was in Franklin County Prison charged with threatening one man with a shotgun and assaulting a woman.

John F. Miller, 30, of 9214 Iron Bridge Road, is charged with two counts of simple assault and one count each of terroristic threats and recklessly endangering another person. All the charges are misdemeanors, according to court records.

Police said the charges stemmed from an incident at his Letterkenny Township home that occurred shortly before 3 a.m.

Miller got into an argument with Matthew Alan Johnson, 22, of Port Orange, Fla., and told Johnson he was going to get a gun and shoot him, police said. As Miller went to get the gun, Johnson told police he left the house to get assistance from a neighbor, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

Miller told police that while he was outside the neighbor's house, Miller pointed a shotgun at him, police said.


The affidavit stated that Johnson told police "his mother then stepped in and tried to get the shotgun away" from Miller. The affidavit failed to indicate whether it was Johnson's or Miller's mother that intervened.

Police said Miller, still armed with the shotgun, then ran into a cornfield.

Michelle Lynn Eutley, 18, also of Port Orange, Fla., told police that when Miller was going for the shotgun he shoved her to the floor, punched her in the face and kicked her in the leg, the affidavit stated. She then heard Miller loading the shotgun before seeing him run outside with the weapon, police said.

The Pennsylvania State Police Special Emergency Response Team was called in to help in the search for Miller. Police said he was taken into custody at about 1 p.m. in the Nyes Road area, about two miles from where the incident took place.

Miller was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Richard Alloway. A prison official said Miller was still being held Tuesday night.

The Herald-Mail Articles