YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsBoat

Local residents share 9/11 memories

September 10, 2006
(Page 6 of 7)

Eventually, I ended up sitting in the parking lot for an hour trying to get more information, then calling my Dad to see what he was seeing on television about it.

From the parking lot you could see the dark smoke coming from the towers, giving an eerie feeling.

We were hearing rumors about certain areas being attacked, such as Camp David. My cell phone was inoperable from about noon until late at night due to the attack, so I did not know what was happening back home in Hagerstown.

Not able to get off of the island for several days, I remember talking to and thinking about my family more than I have before: my wife and our newborn, my ailing father, my brother and sister.

After I postponed the opening and was able to get off of the island three days later (exit routes were minimal and crowded for the first couple of days), I traveled the Verrazano Bridge, which overlooks the site of the Towers. The smell of the burning materials and the smoke still billowing will last in memory for a long time, as well as the sight of the emergency vehicles, the dump trucks going into the city and the mass amounts of patriotic themes I saw driving home that day - it gave me goosebumps, and still does.


That day driving home, my company called me and asked me to turn around to deliver certain items to Shea Stadium to assist in the search and rescue, but I turned them down to spend the weekend with my family - someone else from my company took over with the special delivery. I was just glad to be home!

- K.C Helman

On 9/11, I was playing golf in the Budweiser tournament at Penn National. On the 14th hole we were walking up on the green to putt.

One of our guys had hit a ball in someone's yard behind the green. He went back to pick it up and a man sitting in the yard said a plane had hit the twin towers.

When the guy came back to the green and told us the story, we were wondering what that guy in the yard was drinking! Somehow we didn't believe him.

A few minutes later we went to the 15th tee. Two of the Budweiser salespeople riding around in a cart came over and told us about two planes hitting the towers.

We now realized that it was not a joke and also that it was not an accident. Our foursome was stunned and somber realizing that terrorists had done this cowardly act against American citizens here on our own soil.

Having served eight years in the U.S. Navy, I have deep respect for our fighting men and women who are trying to protect us and support our president on his policies on fighing terrorists. God Bless America.

- Joe Crumling
Greencastle, Pa.

At the time of the attacks on 9/11, I was exercising. I had a part-time job back then and was living in Sharpsburg with my boyfriend. My mother called From Virginia Beach, Va., to tell me what was happening but since I was exercising, my boyfriend took the call. He told me what my mom said and I immediately turned on the television.

The second plane already hit so I was watching the replays.

I am Brooklyn, N.Y.-born, as were my parents. However, I left Brooklyn in 1967, so the Twin Towers were not as emotionally close to my heart like the Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building were.

So, initially, I was very shocked but not crying. Since I wasn't working, I stayed glued to the TV set the whole day.

What really upset me was when when the plane hit the Pentagon. I started to cry uncontrollably.

The first thoughts in my mind were the monuments being destroyed, especially the Vietnam memorial. Visualizing all the monuments being destroyed hurt me to my core.

Couple that with the fact that D.C. is closer to us than New York. The hit on the Pentagon also made me think more was coming and what on earth were we going to do about this?

I was beginning to panic. Never in my 52 years of living did I think anyone could come to our country and attack us. The realization that it was not true made me very sad and still does today.

I would say my initial reaction to the attack was very emotionally charged (being a New Yorker) with what I considered an attack on the soul of my country (our treasured monuments) and our freedoms. It will never be the same again.

- Dorothy J. Horton

I was at work and remember all of us being called into the lunch room. They said the United States had been attacked and heard that two planes hit the World Trade Center, one had hit the Pentagon and the other crashed near Camp David.

I could not believe what I was hearing, so at lunch time I ran home and turned on the TV and saw the images of the planes crashing into the World Trade Center. I learned later that the other plane actually crashed in Pennsylvania, but the first rumors were that it crashed near Camp David.

I think what stands out most to me is that on the days that followed the attack, the skies were quiet with no planes flying at all.

It was noticeably quiet. That was an eerie feeling to me.

- Mark Fedorka

The Herald-Mail Articles