YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsBoat

Local residents share 9/11 memories

September 10, 2006
(Page 3 of 7)

A couple minutes later I turned it up and it was still on, so I decided to change stations. I couldn't find anything to listen to so I put it back and when I did I realized it was Linda West talking and she was talking about a terriost attack and I was like, "Oh my God!"

I finished driving to my friend Leslie's house and when I got there I said turn on the radio they are talking about something bad.

We turned it on and realized what was going on. My son was at school and I was freaked out and thought that they were going to bomb us or something ... you know, a million thoughts ran through all of our minds. All I kept saying was I have to get my son from school. I left and went and picked him up thinking if we all die I want all my babies with me.


I was living with my parents at the time and I just wanted Mom and Dad to come home and for all of us to be together.

When we all finally got home together we watched the news and I just cried and cried for all those innocent children and families. What a disaster.

I don't know about you, but whenever I look at the clock and it is 9:11 a.m. or p.m., I get a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. Together we can all overcome this. Remember stand up for our country and fly those American flags high. America, we love you!

- Fawn Leatherman/Winfield
formerly of Myersville, Md.

I'm a junior at Smithsburg High School, and I'm emailing about the Sept. 11 commemoration article you plan to have next Sunday and Monday.

First off, I'd like to point out that Sept. 11 happens to be my birthday, and that year happened to be my 11th, it certainly will not be a birthday I will ever forget.

I remember sitting in our sixth-grade English class when an announcement came on stating that we'd be leaving school early. At the time we were as happy as can be, because the schools didn't want to tell us the true reason for our departure.

Rumors started spreading at dismissal that we had been attacked, and I can remember the fear, mostly because we weren't sure what was going on. I remember arriving home only to see almost every channel replaying shots of the World Trade Centers collapsing, because at this time it was already well past the collapse of the trade centers.

I remember it like yesterday, us all sitting on the couch, on the brink of tears and fearful of what could possibly happen next. The events of that day will forever leave a lasting effect on me.

I feel it is important to commemorate such a pivotal moment in U.S history, and may the souls that left such an everlasting imprint on our very lives never be forgotten.

- Aaron Zaccaria

On September 11, 2001, my late husband, Paul, and I were walking down a street beside the Port Authority in Cleveland, Ohio, just down the street from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum. We were strolling hand in hand marvelling at the beauty of the fall day. We were approaching a docked submarine intending to take a tour when a taxi swerved across the street going the wrong way and pulled up to the curb.

My first thought was that he was looking for a fare. However, his words rocked our world. He informed us that the first plane had hit the World Trade Center.

Immediately afterword, officials swarmed the area, ordered everyone to evactuate, and began securing the Port Authority parking lot with chains and locks. We were ordered to return to our car for immediate evacuation due to a then-considered suspicious plane with 200 plus passengers down on the Cleveland Airport tarmack right beside us.

As we sat in traffic for 90 minutes attempting to go two blocks to our motel, we listened in horror as the story unfolded, play by play, on our car radio, expecting to be blown to bits at any time. Upon reaching our motel, we continued to watch the events on TV, not truely comprehending. We didn't even go out to eat.

The plane in Cleveland was eventually released without incident. With cell phones not working, and unable to contact family members, we made the deicision to leave.

At 2 a.m. the next morning, we packed up and headed home to Wolfsville. It was only the second day of our vacation, but our hearts were no longer in it. We just couldn't wait to get home to our loved ones.

- Marilyn R. Leatherman

On September 11, 2001, I was home and my daughter called from Citibank where she works and told me through tears that we were under attack. I thought at first she meant where she works, I was so scared for her. She then told me to turn on the TV and watch the news.

I could not believe what I saw on the news, I called my family and told them. My older daughter was so scared because her son's school was across from an airport. I told her to get him home. I called my husband and son and told them to come home, they could not believe the news. My daughter's husband, who is a coal miner, works close to where flight 93 crashed.

The Herald-Mail Articles