Shooting suspect held after chase, wreck

September 08, 2006|by MARLO BARNHART

The second suspect in a July 31 fatal shooting in downtown Hagerstown was taken into custody Thursday night after the vehicle he was in crashed on Virginia Avenue during a chase that began in Noland Village, said Sgt. Paul Kifer of the Hagerstown Police Department.

Raheen Tajohn Edwin, 31, whose last known address was in Brooklyn, N.Y., faces additional charges from Thursday night's incident, Kifer said.

In mid-August, police filed charges against Edwin in the July 31 shooting death of a 20-year-old Hagerstown woman in the first block of East Franklin Street.

Until Thursday night, Edwin had been at large.

In that earlier warrant, Edwin is charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, attempted murder, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault, robbery, having a handgun in a vehicle, using a handgun in a felony, handgun on person and malicious destruction of property valued under $500.


Police have now charged both Edwin and Demetrius Pierre McDaniels in the shooting death of Trisiviah Rodriguez.

McDaniels, 27, of 1052 D Noland Drive, is being held without bond on murder charges, jail officials confirmed this morning.

After Thursday night's chase, Edwin was tackled to the ground, Sgt. Jim Robison said. The chase ended about 9 p.m. on Virginia Avenue near Linwood Road.

Residents huddled at a distance on corners near the crippled Dodge Magnum involved in the chase, as police scanned nearby yards with their flashlights. Police cruisers and unmarked police cars with lights flashing filled the street.

After crashing the car, the suspect ran around a house and north through a back yard, Washington County Sheriff's Department Deputy Joshua McCauley said.

"He flipped over a fence and landed on the bottom of the fence, and we got on top of him at the bottom of the fence - myself and (a police department officer)," McCauley said.

McCauley said the suspect offered no resistance.

"We kind of went down together and got his arms," McCauley said.

A search of the vehicle yielded no weapons, Robison said.

The chase wound from Noland Drive to Sherman Avenue to Burhans Boulevard to Virginia Avenue, Robison said.

Robison said officers found what they believed to be drugs in the car.

Howard Souders, who stood holding hands with a woman in a cluster of people across the street from the scene, said he was stopped in a vehicle at a red light at the intersection of Burhans Boulevard and Virginia Avenue when he saw the Dodge Magnum.

"It's a yield place there, and he come a-flying out, and he hit the curb," said Souders, of Halfway. Souders said he could tell the driver had blown his tires, and he predicted he would not go much farther.

According to Robison, two people suffered what he believed were minor injuries in crashes involving the suspect vehicle. They were treated at Washington County Hospital, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles