Man ordered to serve 50 years on attempted murder charge

September 01, 2006|by PEPPER BALLARD

A 19-year-old man was ordered to serve 50 years in prison Thursday after a Washington County Circuit jury found him guilty of attempted first-degree murder and related charges for shooting a man in the head in January.

Steven Jones, of no fixed address, was ordered by Circuit Judge Frederick C. Wright III to serve 40 years for attempted first-degree murder and a consecutive 10 years for use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence, according to State's Attorney Charles P. Strong Jr.

Jury convictions for charges of first-degree assault, minor in possession of a firearm and carrying handgun on person were merged for sentencing, Strong said.

Assistant State's Attorney Viki Pauler prosecuted the case. Jones was represented by Assistant Public Defenders Brian Hutchison and Carl Creeden.

According to charging documents, David William Webb Jr. was shot twice in the head Jan. 8 at about 5:19 p.m. in the first block of North Locust Street. Webb had confronted a man who he believed was riding his bicycle and another man showed up during the argument.


As Webb turned toward the second man, who was later identified as Jones, he was shot in the right cheek, documents state. He tried to run away, but was fired upon: one shot struck him in the back of the head and a second shot missed, court records show.

Webb survived his injuries.

Jones previously was convicted for second-degree assault and handgun on person, according to charging documents.

Strong said after the verdict: "The office is very satisfied with today's conviction reflecting the collaborative efforts of the state's attorney's office and the Hagerstown Police Department in a crime of street violence. Violent crimes are a major concern for this office and the Hagerstown Police Department. We hope that today's verdict and today's sentence sends the appropriate message to the street."

The Herald-Mail Articles