Advertisement

Celebration

August 21, 2006

On Sunday, Aug. 6, St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Leitersburg celebrated its 180th anniversary with a special service commemorating its many years of ministry and service to the people of the community.

The celebration began the evening before with a dinner and a concert by the Ambassadors, a group of Christian musicians from the Bible School of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations in Minneapolis.

The liturgy used for the service was an order of worship from the mid-19th century. Scripture readings were those used at the laying of the cornerstone of the sanctuary on Aug. 6, 1826. The Rev. Terry Culler, pastor of St. Paul's, preached on the text of Ephesians 2:19-21, the same text used for the sermon by the Rev. Frederick Ruthrauff 180 years earlier.

Visitors for the service included the Rev. Ed Simonsen, retired pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Funkstown; the Rev. Ray Shriver, retired pastor of Christ Lutheran Church; and the Rev. David Schrader, pastor emeritus of St. Paul's. The Rev. Robert Lee, president of the AFLC, sent greetings, encouraging the congregation to renew its commitment to the Evangelical Lutheran heritage that inspired and nourished it.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|