Advertisement

Spontaneous combustion causes fire in Chambersburg

August 12, 2006

CHAMBERBSURG, Pa. - Spontaneous combustion was blamed for a Friday morning fire that damaged a house in Scot-Greene Estates, according to Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Jeffrey Sarver.

The fire was called in at 6:06 a.m. at the home of Christina Alleman of 3464 Troon Drive, Franklin Fire Co. Assistant Fire Chief Steve Himes said. The fire started at an exterior wall outside the garage on one end of the single-story duplex, and spread up the vinyl siding and into the attic, he said.

"We stopped it pretty quick," Himes said. Everyone got out safely and there were no injuries, he said.

Sarver was called in to investigate and ruled the fire was accidental, the result of spontaneous combustion in mulch along the side of the garage. Sarver described the damage as moderate.

Firefighters from the Fayetteville, Pleasant Hall, West End Shippensburg and Cumberland Valley Hose companies, along with ambulances from Chambersburg and Fayetteville and the Franklin County Air Unit, assisted at the fire, Himes said.

Advertisement

The last units left at 8:43 a.m., he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|