Advertisement

Family displaced by kitchen fire

July 26, 2006|by MATTHEW UMSTEAD

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A family was displaced from their 404 Athletic St. home Tuesday evening in Martinsburg when a kitchen fire engulfed their mobile home in smoke.

No one was injured in the blaze, which started about 5:22 p.m., according to Martinsburg Fire Department Capt. Edgar "Eddie" Gochenour.

Gochenour indicated the fire might have started near a propane-fueled stove, but noted that the blaze still is under investigation by Capt. David Brining.

Gochenour estimated the fire caused about $8,000 in damage, primarily to the kitchen.

The effects of heat and smoke were noted throughout the home, he said. The names of the victims, including two young girls, were not immediately released. The American Red Cross provided the family with lodging arrangements at the Days Inn.

Advertisement

Gochenour believed the children were younger than 5 years old.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|