Ball falls the way of Hagerstown

July 21, 2006|by CHRIS CARTER/Staff Correspondent

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - The hit that sparked Hagerstown 'A' against Chambersburg 'A' in the bottom of the fourth inning Thursday night appeared to be just another routine fly ball.

But Tyeler Presgraves' towering fly to left field carried and carried until it cleared the left-field fence to tie the game at 1-1. Hagerstown went on to take the lead in the inning and held on for a 3-1 victory in the PONY Sectional Tournament at Greenvillage Youth Park.

Hagerstown 'A' advances to the winners' bracket final on Saturday against the winner of Hagerstown 'B' and South Adams, a game scheduled for tonight at 6 p.m. Chambersburg 'A' moves to the losers' bracket and will face First State Delaware tonight at 8.

Presgraves jumped on the first pitch he saw from Chambersburg starter Jordan Riley. Left fielder Brandon Zeger appeared to have a play on the ball at the fence, but it sailed over his head and over the fence for a home run.


"As soon as I hit it, I thought it was a high popout to left," said Presgraves, who added a single later in the game. "When I got to second, I heard it hit a car and everyone started cheering. That's when I knew it was gone."

The home run was a quick answer to Chambersburg's fourth-inning offensive production, which began with Calvin Mentzer, who was hit by a Tyler Marshall fastball. Mentzer moved to second on a single by Riley - the first Chambersburg hit of the game - and to third on a walk. He scored on a wild pitch by Marshall to give Chambersburg a 1-0 advantage.

The hard-earned lead was erased after Presgraves' homer bounced off the hood of a white minivan just beyond the left-field fence.

"That was huge. It seemed like it lifted a weight off of everybody," said Hagerstown manager Steve Berger. "After that, we started to hit the ball better."

"It gave us a lot of momentum to score the next run," Presgraves said.

Hagerstown took the lead later in the inning. Sean Colgan struck out, but reached first after the ball got away from Chambersburg catcher Marc Timmons. Colgan later scored on a single by Chase Worthington to give Hagerstown a 2-1 lead.

Marshall was set to work with the lead in the fifth, but cramped during warmups and was forced to leave the game. Marshall had given up only one hit and struck out 11 before his exit.

"He cramped up pretty bad in his right calf. It was hot and I guess he needed more salt in his body," Berger said. "Now that it's over, it's kind of a blessing in disguise because he only pitched four innings and he'll be available later if we need him."

Cole Sellers took over for Marshall and was just as effective. He faced the minimum of nine batters over the final three innings and struck out the side in order in the seventh. He gave up only a walk and a hit.

Sellers helped his own cause with an insurance RBI single in the fifth that upped the Hagerstown lead to 3-1.

"(Chambersburg's) a sound baseball team," Berger said. "There's a good chance we'll see them again in this tournament."

Riley scattered six hits over six innings and struck out eight in the loss for Chambersburg.

The Herald-Mail Articles