Testimony: DNA from separate sex assault scenes are a match

July 21, 2006|by DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, PA. - DNA from a baseball cap found at the scene of a September 2004 sexual assault matches DNA collected from a rape 12 days later in Franklin County, according to testimony Thursday in the preliminary hearing of a former Hagerstown man charged in the crimes.

In both cases, the women testified they were kidnapped while getting into vehicles in shopping center parking lots, driven to secluded areas and photographed by a man while being sexually assaulted.

Pov Srun, 35, formerly of 838 W. Washington St., was ordered bound over for court on all charges by Magisterial District Judge Gary Carter, who scheduled a mandatory arraignment in Franklin County Court for Aug. 30.

Srun is charged with two counts each of rape, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, robbery of a motor vehicle, theft and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, according to court records.


Srun is serving a 35-year sentence in Maryland as a result of a plea agreement in connection with similar crimes in Montgomery County in 2004 and 2005, said defense attorney Gary A. Knaresboro, who did not represent Srun in those cases.

The first alleged assault occurred the night of Sept. 16, 2004, when a 16-year-old Smithsburg girl was leaving her job at Kmart on East Main Street in Waynesboro, Pa. She testified that she had just turned on the ignition when a man wearing pieces of duct tape on his face forced his way into her Jeep and pushed her into the passenger's seat.

"I was scared. It caught me completely off guard," the woman, now 18, said. The man threatened to harm her if she did not cooperate, she said.

"He was telling me to stay down and be quiet," she testified. "I was trying to cooperate, but I was panicking."

The man drove her to an unknown location and moved the vehicle several times during the course of the assault, she testified. He photographed her with a digital camera, she testified.

When the assault ended, he drove the vehicle back to the area of Kmart, left $200 in the Jeep and walked away.

"He just said, 'Take this,'" she said. "I figured out it was probably just to keep me quiet."

The woman said she drove home and called her mother, who then called police.

Cpl. Mark King of the Waynesboro Police Department said rape test kit samples were taken from the woman. Other evidence collected from her vehicle included a baseball cap left by the man.

The second alleged assault took place on the afternoon of Sept. 28 in the parking lot of Weis Market on Wayne Avenue in Chambersburg. The victim, who was 20 at the time, testified she was leaving her job at a bank branch when a man in a ski mask attacked her.

"Whenever I turned around, he was there, forcing his way into my car," the woman said, adding that she quickly realized what was happening. "I had read in the paper about the other incident and I figured it was the same thing."

The man, who told her he had a knife and a gun, drove her car for about five minutes before stopping, the woman testified. The woman testified she kept her eyes closed through much of the assault, which she estimated lasted 40 minutes, but detected about 15 camera flashes and heard what sounded like duct tape being torn.

Detective Scott Mummert of the Chambersburg Police Department said rape kit samples from the woman were tested by the Pennsylvania State Police Crime Lab and matched DNA found on the hatband of the baseball cap found in the other victim's Jeep. That information was put in a national database of DNA profiles and matched DNA collected after a Jan. 25 sexual assault in Montgomery County, Mummert said.

The Herald-Mail Articles