Morgan Co. receives the fury from Tuesday's storm

July 20, 2006|by TRISH RUDDER

BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. - Berkeley Springs was in recovery mode Wednesday after a hail and rain storm hit the Morgan County community Tuesday evening.

Town of Bath Mayor Susan Webster said she saw "about golf ball-size" hail come down four times. "It came from the south and then from the north," she said.

Warm Springs Run was "over its banks," and Berkeley Springs State Park was under water Tuesday night due to the heavy rain, Webster said.

The Berkeley Springs State Park pool was closed Wednesday and today because of debris in and around the pool and the park, said Lorraine Canoles, park supervisor.


The pool will reopen Friday at 10 a.m., she said.

The park's old Roman Bathhouse had to be closed because of high water in the bathing area, but will reopen Saturday, she said.

Skeeter's Auto Body in Berkeley Springs received calls Wednesday regarding hail damage to cars, owner Leslie Canoles said.

"A lot of calls have come in for hail damage estimates; I've been on the phone all morning," he said.

He said he had a couple calls from owners reporting cracked windshields, but mainly the cars were dented from the hail, he said.

Webster said Berkeley Springs Water Works closed Tuesday night because of turbidity in the water, and dirt and mud was getting in the filters. Water is in reserve so no one was without water, she said, and the system was back up Wednesday morning.

Dave Michael, director of Morgan County Office of Emergency Services, said in a press release that unofficial rainfall totals were 2 to 7 inches. He said the storm brought "pea-size to golf ball-size" hail.

There were reports of flooding Tuesday night "up to 2 feet deep" on south U.S. 522, and Mesner and McCoy roads were damaged and washed out. Those roads will remain closed until repairs can be made, according to the Michael's release.

Michael said no rescues were required and no injuries or deaths were reported.

"One residence suffered a collapsed basement wall from weakening due to water runoff. No one was hurt, but the family had to relocate with relatives until the home becomes inhabitable again," Michael said in his release.

The Herald-Mail Articles