KAUFFMAN, Pa. - The Old Brown's Mill School Museum, the oldest preserved example of a one-room schoolhouse in Franklin County, Pa., will be open to the public Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. through August.
Admission is free to the school on Browns Mill Road in Antrim Township, though donations will be accepted to help pay for the school's upkeep.
Built in 1836, 51 subscribers paid for its construction on land donated by Ezra Brown. The school remained in operation until 1922, when the nearby Brown's Mill Consolidated School opened.
Donations from more than 7,000 students, teachers and others were used by the Old Brown's Mill School Association to restore the building in 1935. In 1962, the stone building and grounds were deeded to the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. It was sold to the Kittochtinny Historical Society in 2002.