Man faces charges after police chase
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A man who admitted stealing a car faces charges after he led police on a chase that ended in Guilford Township, Pennsylvania State Police in Chambersburg said.
According to police, William Joseph May, 39, of no fixed address, confessed to several thefts during the chase, which ended at 1:01 p.m. Tuesday. He later confessed to several thefts, police said.
May allegedly failed to yield when police attempted to pull him over after observing he was driving a vehicle identified in a theft investigation, police said. According to police, May led police from the intersection of Nunnery Road and Pa. 997 in Quincy Township, Pa., to two-tenths of a mile north of the intersection of Pa. 914 and Pa. 316 at Hillcrest Road in Guilford Township, Pa.
After the chase, May confessed to stealing the vehicle, which belongs to a Union Bridge, Md., woman, and a purse belonging to an 18-year-old Fayetteville, Pa., woman, police said. He also confessed to the unauthorized use of another vehicle, police said.
A bank card in the stolen purse was used to make purchases and withdrawals totaling $284, police said.
According to police, May put the safety of two Pennsylvania State Police troopers in danger during the chase. He was charged with reckless endangerment, fleeing and eluding, theft from a motor vehicle, forgery and vehicle theft, police said.
Sheriff's deputies respond to calls
The Washington County Sheriff's Department responded to the following calls Tuesday, Sgt. Roy Harsh said:
· At 11:09 p.m., an attempted breaking and entering was reported in the 11300 block of Greenberry Road.
· At 4:43 p.m., a statue was reported stolen from the front yard of a home in the first block of Grove Circle.
· At 4:55 p.m., a Kenwood portable radio was reported stolen from Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co., 13730 Maugansville Road.
· At 8:44 p.m., a gas drive-off was reported at Sheetz, 17550 Virginia Ave. No cost of gas listed.
· At 8:38 a.m., an engagement ring was reported missing in the 100 block of Sentry Ridge. No value was listed.
· At 11:08 a.m., an ATM card was reported stolen from the 100 block of North Conococheague Street in Williamsport. Three fraudulent transactions totaling $306 had been made on the card.
Wallet stolen in strong-arm robbery
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Borough police were looking for three people involved in a strong-arm robbery downtown Tuesday night.
The robbery occurred shortly after 10 p.m. as Alejandro Lopez Velasco, age and address unavailable, was standing with another person outside 21 N. Main St. Police said a woman grabbed him from behind, tore his pants and took his wallet.
The woman, a black male and a Hispanic male then ran across the street and up Montgomery Alley, police said.
The woman was described as 5 feet tall, heavyset and 18 to 20 years old with a number of rubber bands in her hair. Anyone with information may call police at 717-264-4131.
Rifles reported stolen from Pa. storage unit
WAYNESBORO, PA. - Two rifles were stolen in a burglary at Town Center Storage, behind 20 N. Potomac St., between May 20 and July 11, Waynesboro police said in a news release.
The rifles are valued at $580, police said.