Advertisement

Seven left homeless in Scotland, Pa., fire

June 24, 2006|by DON AINES

SCOTLAND, Pa. - Seven people were left homeless Friday afternoon by a fire that heavily damaged a house in Greene Township.

"That's my birthday present. Nowhere to live on my birthday," said Annette Griffith of 1463 State St. She said she arrived home from work shortly after the fire.

The cause of the 3:49 p.m. fire was undetermined and is being investigated by a Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal, Fayetteville Volunteer Fire Co. Deputy Chief Scott Williamson said. The family was staying in a local motel Friday night, he said.

Williamson said there were three people in the house, two of them children, at the time of the fire. All got outside, with one suffering from minor smoke inhalation, but refusing treatment, he said.

Advertisement

The fire was in a bedroom hallway and was contained there, but the rest of the house had smoke damage, Williamson said.

Deante Dupree said he was in another part of the house when the fire occurred. After seeing the flames, he said he got the two children outside.

Fayetteville was assisted by firefighters from the Cumberland Valley Hose and West End Fire and Rescue companies from Shippensburg, Pa., Marion (Pa.) Volunteer Fire Co., Chambersburg (Pa.) Fire Department, Franklin Volunteer Fire Co. in Chambersburg, and Franklin County Emergency Air Unit.

Firefighters were on the scene until about 5:30 p.m., according to a 911 dispatcher.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|