Man charged in shooting, wife's assault

June 23, 2006|by DAVE McMILLION

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A Harpers Ferry, W.Va., man was charged with attempted murder and malicious wounding after another man was shot in the neck in the Keyes Ferry Acres subdivision early Thursday in a domestic dispute, police said.

Also, a woman was flown to Washington (D.C.) Hospital Center after being beaten in the incident, police said.

Matthew Tyma, 38, of 60 Old Chestnut Drive, was being held Thursday afternoon in the Eastern Regional Jail on $500,000 bond.

Tyma was arrested after Jefferson County Sheriff's Department deputies, assisted by other area police, were notified of the shooting at 12:51 a.m. in Keyes Ferry Acres, which can be accessed by Keyes Gap Road or Chestnut Hill Road on Blue Ridge Mountain.

When police arrived in the area, they found David Benjamin Snyder, 25, lying on the kitchen floor of a house at 29 Old Chestnut Drive and suffering from injuries to his face and a gunshot wound to the neck, according to a criminal complaint filed in Jefferson County Magistrate Court.


Snyder said he and Tyma had been at Tyma's house at 60 Old Chestnut Drive and that Tyma had punched him in the face several times, according to the complaint.

Snyder also said that Tyma had pulled a gun and shoved it into his chest, according to the complaint.

Snyder said Tyma was trying to pull the trigger on the gun, but Snyder had grabbed the gun and attempted to push the weapon from his chest, according to the complaint.

Tyma eventually pulled the trigger and Snyder was shot in the neck, according to the complaint.

Snyder fled to a house across the street at 29 Old Chestnut Drive, according to the complaint.

Snyder said he then heard two more shots go off, according to the complaint. It is not clear why those shots were fired, Detective Sgt. Tom Hansen said.

Deputy K.J. Boyce and other officers arrived at 60 Old Chestnut Drive and could hear a woman crying for help.

Officers gathered outside the house and Tyma could be seen through the windows with a pistol in his hand, according to the complaint.

Tyma was observed putting down the pistol and leaving the home through a rear door, according to the complaint.

After Tyma was confronted by police and ordered to the ground, he remarked that he had "just beat" his wife and she was in a bathtub, according to the complaint. Tyma also stated that he had shot Snyder because Snyder allegedly had a sexual encounter with his wife, records state.

Officers entered the Tyma home and found an injured woman in a bathtub, according to the complaint. The woman, identified as Elizabeth Diane Tyma, 44, Tyma's wife, had been beaten in the face and appeared to be going in and out of consciousness, according to the complaint.

According to a paramedic, Elizabeth Tyma had a broken nose and multiple lacerations to her face.

Elizabeth Tyma was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Ranson, W.Va., and later flown to Washington (D.C.) Hospital Center, where she was listed in serious condition Thursday afternoon, Hansen said.

Snyder was treated for his injuries at Jefferson Memorial Hospital and later released.

The Herald-Mail Articles