Pa. girl, 13, charged in police chase

June 22, 2006|by JENNIFER FITCH

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A 13-year-old Waynesboro girl has been charged in connection with a stolen-car police chase through two states that ended in an accident in the Smithsburg area on May 15.

A charge of complicity in the crime of fleeing or attempting to elude police was filed in the Franklin County (Pa.) Juvenile Probation Department by Waynesboro police, who allege she told the driver to flee and gave him directions.

The driver, 23-year-old Anthony Alfredo Saltalamacchia, was being held on $15,000 bond in the Washington County Detention Center on motor vehicle theft, theft, negligent driving, reckless driving, and fleeing and eluding police charges filed by Washington County Sheriff's Department deputies, who continued the chase after the vehicle left Pennsylvania.

The 2005 blue-and-silver Chevrolet Malibu had been reported stolen by Lisa Niglio of Edinburg, Pa., which is northwest of Pittsburgh, police said. Saltalamacchia had provided both Edinburg and 81 W. Main St. in Waynesboro as his address to police.


His passenger, Summer Chantel Robinson, 22, of 116 E. North St. in Waynesboro, was charged with theft and motor vehicle theft, deputies said in May.

In addition to the 13-year-old charged in Franklin County, a second female juvenile passenger reportedly was in the car, which hit a guardrail at Md. 64 and Md. 491.

All four occupants were taken to Washington County Hospital and later released.

Waynesboro police said the vehicle traveled south from Chambersburg, Pa., and first was spotted by officers in the 300 block of North Grant Street. The vehicle sped away when officers attempted to stop it, then ran stop signs and forced other vehicles off the road.

Waynesboro police hold an outstanding warrant for Saltalamacchia's arrest on charges of theft, receiving stolen property, fleeing or attempting to elude police, reckless driving, reckless endangerment, stop sign violations and driving a vehicle while operating privileges have been suspended.

The Herald-Mail Articles