Police briefs

June 20, 2006

Squirrel blamed for power outage

About 1,000 Hagerstown Light Department customers lost power Monday morning when a squirrel got into a substation and knocked out power, said Karl Kohler, manager of the Hagerstown Light Department.

The outage occurred at about 6:30 a.m. when the squirrel got into the Fairgrounds Substation and knocked out power to customers north of the 100 block of North Potomac Street and east of Pennsylvania Avenue, he said.

He said there were probably some customers affected outside that scope, but power was restored at about 7:30 a.m. after crews switched the load to other stations to restore power.

The Fairgrounds Substation was offline and being repaired at about 9 a.m.

Man with weapon robs Burger King

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A man wielding a weapon robbed Burger King in Martinsburg Sunday night, according to a news release from the Martinsburg Police Department.


The man entered the Viking Way fast-food restaurant, showed a weapon and forced his way into the office area, where he took an undetermined amount of money before running out of the restaurant, the release states.

The Berkeley County Sheriff's department's K-9 team tried to track the man, but could not find him, police said.

Police described the man as a light-skinned black man, about 5 feet 11 inches tall with a thin build. He was wearing a long-sleeved white shirt and black pants, police said.

Police ask anyone with information about the robbery to call them at 1-304-264-2100.

Boy faces charge in Pa. after chase

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A 16-year-old Waynesboro boy taken to Washington County Hospital when a police chase in two states ended in an accident early Saturday has been charged with fleeing and attempting to elude police, reckless driving and stop sign violations in Franklin County, Pa., according to a news release from Waynesboro Police.

Police said they saw the boy fail to stop at the intersection of South Potomac and West Fifth streets, then drive recklessly on several borough streets as he repeatedly did not stop for police around 3:15 a.m.

The vehicle was traveling approximately 35 mph and didn't stop at numerous stop signs, police said.

Police from Waynesboro and Washington Township, Pa., ended their pursuit when the boy crossed into Maryland on Md. 64. He was pursued by members of the Washington County Sheriff's Department, who used spike strips to end the chase.

Sheriff's deputies said the vehicle continued a short distance, hit a utility pole and overturned near Robinwood Drive.

The boy was taken to the hospital and returned to his parents. He also was issued traffic citations in Washington County, deputies said.

The Herald-Mail Articles