Police briefs

June 13, 2006

Man charged in pawn shop break-in

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A 24-year-old man allegedly spotted by Martinsburg Police Department officers carrying stereo equipment from a pawn shop Monday morning was charged with burglary and daytime breaking and entering, according to police.

John H. Jones, of 102 Daniel St., was being held Monday at Eastern Regional Jail on $15,000 bail.

An officer saw a broken window at Famous Pawn Shop after responding to the 911 Winchester Ave. store to check out a 12:55 a.m. alarm, police said.

"Within seconds of notifying dispatch of the broken window," the officer allegedly saw Jones "carrying stereo equipment" and "trying to get out of the building," according to the release.

The officer confronted Jones, but he ran, police said. After a short chase, the officer used pepper spray to subdue Jones and placed him under arrest, the release states.


Juvenile charged in handgun incident

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A juvenile was charged with recklessly endangering another person and making terroristic threats following a Sunday night incident in an Antrim Township home, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Police said the indicent happened at 8:50 p.m. at 674 Clayhill Road. Police said the juvenile pointed a .45-caliber handgun at Stacey Keith Witmer, 20, Daniel Lee Witmer and a 14-year-old.

Charges against the juvenile were filed with Magisterial District Judge Duane Cunningham.

Police: Bottle thrown at vehicle in Pa.

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police were investigating a vandalism complaint in which a bottle filled with chewing tobacco spit was thrown at a vehicle.

Police said the vehicle of Therese A. Erskine of 984 Stony Bridge Road was damaged between 8 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday.

Money taken at Pa. Welcome Center

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police were investigating a strong-arm robbery Thursday involving five men at the state Welcome Center on Interstate 81 in Antrim Township.

Police said cash was stolen from Marlene C. Daniels, 59, of Plattsburgh, N.Y., at about 8:40 p.m. Daniels was in her motor home when a man came up and told her there was a lottery winner in the parking lot giving out $100 bills to anyone who would shake his hand, police said.

Her husband was asked if he wanted to play a three-card game to double his money, police said. One of the men asked her if she had more money in the motor home and she returned with five bank envelopes of cash, police said.

One of the men, described as having a thin build and wearing sunglasses, grabbed the cash and he and the other four men fled, possibly in a white van and a maroon car, police said.

The men were described as white and about 50 years old, police said.

Anyone with information about the incident may call police at 717-264-5161.

Truck stolen from animal hospital lot

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Pennsylvania State Police were investigating the theft last week of a 2001 Dodge Ram truck that was parked at Chambersburg Animal Hospital, 1340 Lincoln Way East.

Police said the truck, belonging to Richard Lee Ross of Chambersburg, was reported stolen June 4. The truck is green with a black bed cover and silver stripes on the side.

Anyone with information about the theft may call police at 717-264-5161.

W.Va. man stabbed during weekend fight

LEETOWN, W.Va. - A Ranson, W.Va., man was stabbed in his left rib cage Sunday night during an altercation with another man in the parking lot of the House of Fabrics along Old Leetown Pike, police said.

The wound suffered by John Viands, 32, of North Reyman Street, did not appear to be life-threatening, said Detective Sgt. Tom Hansen of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.

After Viands was stabbed, he sprayed the other man with pepper spray, Hansen said.

Viands got into a car and the other man then struck Viands' car with a pickup truck, Hansen said.

Police believe the man headed to his home in the Chambersburg, Pa., area after the 10:30 p.m. incident.

Viands was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Ranson, Hansen said. He was not there Monday night, according to a nursing supervisor at the hospital.

The Herald-Mail Articles