Advertisement

Blaze damages W.Va. business

May 28, 2006|by DAVE McMILLION

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Fire broke out Thursday morning in a storage room at Bobby's Used Cars on Augustine Avenue, causing up to $100,000 in damage to the business, a fire official said.

It is believed the cause of the fire was accidental, said Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.

The car dealership at 155 Augustine Ave., across from the Hilldale Shopping Center, handles car repairs and sales, Smith said.

When firefighters arrived after receiving the call about 11:04 a.m., heavy smoke was billowing from the front and top of the storage room, Smith said.

Flames began showing as firefighters prepared to attack the blaze, Smith said.

The fire extended from the storage room into the ceiling, and firefighters had to cut into the roof to get access to the fire, Smith said.

About 18 firefighters from Ranson, Charles Town, Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown and Berryville, Va., worked for about an hour to put out the blaze, Smith said.

Advertisement

Workers were able to get out of the building when the fire started, Smith said.

The business is owned by Robert Tritt.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|