Advertisement

Funkstown briefs

May 09, 2006|by ERIN CUNNINGHAM

Battle re-enactment is canceled



FUNKSTOWN - The annual re-enactment of the Battle of Funkstown has been canceled.

Ron Benedict, who has organized the event for about 15 years, told Funkstown's town council during Monday's meeting that the event would not take place this year. It was set for June 9 to 11.

Benedict said he has typically registered 200 to 300 participants by this time. So far, he has only three.

This will be the first time since Benedict has been in charge of the re-enactment that it will be canceled.

"It will be the first and last time," he said.

Benedict blamed high gas prices for preventing participants, who come mostly from along the East Coast, from traveling to Funkstown for the re-enactment.

"The gas prices have put a damper on the event," Benedict said.

Mayor Robert L. Kline and town council members said it was unfortunate the event could not be held, but they looked forward to its return next year.

Advertisement

Benedict said he would likely begin planning next year's re-enactment next month.

He said he realized last week that he would have to cancel the event for the first time.

"This is the time when I'm usually getting 10 to 15 people registered each day," Benedict said.

The re-enactment has been held in Funkstown since the late 1980s.

The Battle of Funkstown occurred July 10 to 12, 1863, as Gen. Robert E. Lee led his Confederate troops back to Virginia after the decisive Battle of Gettysburg just days before.




One-lane bridge to be closed



FUNKSTOWN - East Oak Ridge Drive in Funkstown between Oak Ridge Place and the one-lane Funkstown Bridge will be closed to through traffic from about May 15 to June 2.

The project will run from Md. 65 to the bridge, and all work is scheduled to be completed by about June 30. Detours will be posted.

The town council said during Monday's town meeting they believe the work is to correct drainage issues on the road, but no construction is set for the bridge.

The council voted unanimously to send a letter to Washington County officials saying that if money becomes available for construction to the bridge in the future, they would support widening it to two lanes, while maintaining its historic nature.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|