Police looking for man who stole credit cards from offices at Pa. hospital

March 30, 2006|by DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Borough police are looking for a man who stole credit cards from offices at Chambersburg Hospital on Monday then used or attempted to use them at stores in Chambersburg and Hagerstown.

The man went through several office areas Monday morning and two victims reported having about 10 credit cards stolen, Detective Jon Greenawalt said. The thefts were reported at 9:38 a.m., he said.

The man later went to Giant Foods on Wayne Avenue, where he purchased about $140 in merchandise, Greenawalt said. The man attempted to buy a computer at the Staples on Wayne Avenue, but a clerk noticed the card he tried to use was in a woman's name and the sale was not completed, Greenawalt said.

"He had several credit cards when he went to Giant and Staples," he said.

The man later made a purchase at a store in Hagerstown, Greenawalt said.

"I don't know how many stores this guy has hit to date," Greenawalt said Wednesday.


The man asked directions while in the hospital, but after getting them was seen walking in a different direction from where he had asked to go, hospital spokeswoman Sheran White said. Once it was determined a theft had occurred, she said the hospital reviewed the surveillance tapes and pinpointed the man and the car he used.

The man was described as white and 30 to 40 years old with receding brown hair and a bald spot. He was wearing a dark-colored jacket, light blue shirt and dark pants, and drove off in a green four-door Audi, police said.

Greenawalt said police have pictures of the man and the vehicle from hospital surveillance videos but could not get the registration of the car from the images. The video shows the man spoke with hospital employees and visitors while in the main lobby and police are asking for anyone with information about the man to call them at 717-264-4131.

In a similar incident last year, two Chambersburg women were charged and later convicted of stealing from a patient at the hospital and then using his credit and bank cards, according to police and court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles