A fire spread quickly through a barn filled with baled hay Sunday night on Lappans Road, resulting in more than $75,000 in damage.
The barn and its contents were destroyed, Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst said.
The owner of the barn at 17512 Lappans Road, just west of Saint James, was using a tractor to move hay inside the barn from a spot where the roof was leaking, Ernst said. As the farmer was transporting the hay, some fell on the exhaust and caught fire.
The fire quickly spread to the other bales, and soon the entire barn was engulfed in flames, he said.
Leonard Heller, chief of Fairplay Volunteer Fire Co., said when firefighters arrived at the home about 5 p.m., the entire structure was on fire and a smaller building nearby was in danger of also catching on fire.