WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Robert Brooks was putting together a puzzle on the floor with his 3-year-old son when he heard his neighbors' smoke alarms going off and saw smoke when he looked outside.
At first, Brooks thought his neighbors in the duplex were grilling, but then there was a knock on the door and he realized the other side of the house was on fire.
"I picked up my son and just ran out," Brooks said.
The fire reported just before 6 p.m. Thursday at 259 Ringgold St. gutted two rooms in that side of the duplex and damaged a second-floor bathroom of Brooks' side at 257 Ringgold St. The fire started in a pan as Krystle Peli made supper.
Both families were unable to stay in their homes Thursday night, and the American Red Cross made arrangements to provide diapers and formula for the 9-month-old daughter of Harry and Krystle Peli.