Blast from the past

March 15, 2006

Week of March 12, 1956

If you are planning to do any tree trimming you'd better not follow the advice handed out in this column by mistake last Saturday, when a city official was quoted as saying that you didn't need a permit to prune trees or remove tree limbs. You could find yourself paying up to $50 for every tree you trimmed yourself or by an unlicensed trimmer.

Union workers at the Federal Silk Mill at Williamsport will meet tomorrow to hear a proposal from management on what it will offer in the way of a wage increase.

Union officials say that with the new minimum wage at $1 per hour, those who were previously making $1 or more should be given a proportionate increase.

James (Jimmy) Wolfensberger, this city's No. 1 bowler, won national recognition for himself and the city of Hagerstown yesterday when he walked off with top honors in the second annual Duck Pin All-Star Match Game Championship Tournament in New Haven, Conn.


Week of March 12, 1981

Hagerstown City Councilman Larry Vaughn began serving 15 days in jail today after he was sentenced for violating probation granted him last June. Circuit Court Judge John P. Corderman sentenced the 38-year-old councilman to 60 days, but suspended 45 days of the jail term. After Vaughn serves his 15 days, he will be placed on two years' supervised probation.

In June he was found guilty by a Circuit Court jury of pulling a false fire alarm in connection with an incident outside City Hall in 1979.

The Ward One councilman, who is running for re-election, will be freed just in time to cast his vote in the March election.

Residents of a Main Street home in Sharpsburg were forced out last night because of a high concentration of gasoline fumes apparently emanating from a Hesse Oil Company BP station next door.

According to Ronnie Milburn, Sharpsburg Fire Chief, the Morris family called for assistance Tuesday, complaining of a strong gasoline smell in the house. When firefighters and Civil Defense volunteers arrived they discovered a layer of petroleum products on top of four inches of water in the sump in the basement of the home. The Hesse Oil Co. has not yet responded to calls.

Keedysville parents fought the school system's administrative staff with their own facts and figures and won a reprieve for their school.

The school board voted 4-to-1 to keep Keedysville Elementary School open for at least two more years.

- Compiled by Jean Baraclough

The Herald-Mail Articles